House Springs, MO asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Missouri

Q: My sister's boyfriend is threatening her and is abusive. What can I do to help her get safely out of the situation?

I know my sister is being mentally abused and now I fear it has progressed to physical abuse. I think he is threatening her with hurting the family if she leaves. He is also, we believe, an undiagnosed schizophreniac. What can I do to help her get the help she needs to get rid of him and protect her and her kids (2 of them are his)? Parental rights revoked on him would be nice too!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your sister has to want to leave. If you personally witness any physical abuse, you can call the police. Just know that if you report it and your sister does not want to leave, it could make things worse at home for her and the kids. Until your sister is prepared to leave, there is not much you can do besides talk with her and be supportive. If she is ready to leave, make sure she leaves with the kids. Set up a plan where to go, when to pack, when to leave, etc. This is exactly what domestic violence shelters are for. Another option is for her to file an ex parte against the boyfriend so he has to leave the home and then she can also get paternity action started to keep him away from her and the kids, if possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.