Provo, UT asked in Tax Law for Utah

Q: If you purchase something for both work and personal use, can you write off the cost?

Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Yes and no. For instance, if I buy a car for my business, but I also use it day in and day out than I have to make a determination of how much I use it for business purposes (not including the first trip to the office/job site/location) and I can then write a certain percentage of that purchase which in turn would mean that I could only depreciate a certain percentage of that purchase as well.

You can only write off (as a business expense) items that are actually used for business and if there is a dual use, then you have to split it up. As long as you are reasonable in your division then the IRS won't bother you, but even so I would consult your accountant who can tell you if you are least within the range of other purchases they have seen come through.

I hope this helps.

Wes