Vallejo, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: return of money police seized. how and what do i file to start the process.?

at the time of my arrest i had cash on me that was from my paycheck. i still have proof from my job and paystub . the police took it and when i bailed out , it was not with my belongings,my phone missing too., and no property receipt saying they were keeping it for evidence or even that they took it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E Mitchell
Kevin E Mitchell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Cash and phones are often seized by police. Certain charges will subject the money to forfeiture proceedings, so it's good that you have your paystub to show the source. You should have received notice from police if it was seized for that purpose. Otherwise, it may be listed as evidence in the police report. Your response is time sensitive so you should consult a criminal defense attorney, especially if you think you're going to face charges.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.