Savannah, GA asked in Family Law and Workers' Compensation for Georgia

Q: If the father NCP is paying CS but is out of work & receiving workers Comp. can a mod. for an increase still be filed?

There hasn't been an increase or modification filed since our divorce and he is making a lot more money now, before he went out on Workers comp. or should I wait until he is released to go back to work?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kelly Case
Kelly Case
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Assuming both are located in Georgia, and there has not been a previous modification within the past two years or the original ruling is more than 2 years old, then yes, you can file for a modification when the party paying child support is being paid through a worker's compensation policy as long as those payments are more than the current scheduled amount of earnings. In other words, if the other party is truly making more money, then yes, you can file. But this is really one of those situations that would be better served by negotiation, rather than litigation. While you can do it, are you certain that you should? It may be better to do this by agreement rather than force it back into the court system. The other option is to wait until the other parent is back working again and then request an increase. It's very difficult to answer your question without knowing your specific situation and this is a very fact specific area of the law. I would urge you to seek advice form an experience Georgia Family Lawyer before attempting to do anything on your own. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.