Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: My wife kicked me out, took all our money, both cars, all my clothes. Without my car I can not work. How is this legal?

I was layed off of work. After 8 weeks of job hunting my wife said I needed to leave because I was a looser. She took all our money out of our joint account and put it into a private account, took both cars and keys and had me served with a restraining order. I had no options, I'm sorry to say but to leave our family home and three year old daughter. I am now stranded and trying to find employment but because she has both of our cars and I can not get a job because I have no mode of transportation. My name is on both the lean and the registration of both the cars. I have not been able to see my baby in months. When I call she texts me "she does not want to talk to you" .The order was dropped but my wife will not allow me to have my car back. What are my legal rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You really need to have an immediate consultation with a qualified attorney specializing in family law. It looks like you need to file for divorce and contemporaneously file a motion for immediate relief, possession of your car, possibly a counsel fee advance, to address immediate parenting time and parenting issues... This is complicated. Borrow money if you have to. Talk to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.