Paterson, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Daughter is 11yo, her "father" hasn't done anything for her since 2yo. What is the easiest way to term his rights?

He and I were never married.

He has a criminal past which he hid details from me for a long time(Sex assault of a minor) and also does hard drugs. She has no relationship with him. He hasn't been on child support since she was about 2yo. My husband of 6 yrs wants to adopt her also. My current husband and I have no criminal past.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should seek a consultation with an attorney who has experience with contested adoption cases. The biological father has parental rights, although he has not exercised them. He will either have to waive his rights in the proceeding, or it was move forward as a contested proceeding. If contested, the Court may assign a guardian ad litem for the child and an attorney for the biological father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.