Absecon, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I have 3 children and they use to live with me, but now they live with there father in Sumter South Carolina,

I haven't seen or heard from them in three years, but I will be paying child support for a 12, 16, and a 17 year old,. How can I get visitation for my kids when I pay support for my children?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You will need to file a cross-application requesting parenting time. In your papers, you should try to address how to overcome the obstacles that your absence from the children's lives for three years will certainly bring to your ability to reconnect and effectively parent them. You should also propose a parenting plan that you believe will serve the best interests of the children. I am not clear from your question as to the correct Court where you will be making these requests. You should schedule a consultation with a qualified family law attorney. He/she can review any prior orders, the facts and circumstances of your case, and the papers that have presumably been filed for child support with you to try to guide you in a way that protects your legal interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.