Summit, NJ asked in Divorce for New Jersey

Q: Hello. I am divorced 12/2016 I want to file for alimony, how can I go about this-HELP!!

mediator was used no private attorneys-child support and alimony was waived

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: There is virtually no way that your question can be adequately addressed in this forum, without reviewing the underlying facts and document in more detail. You need to take your Marital Settlement Agreement with you to an attorney with significant family law experience. They will review the document and ask you about what occurred prior to your executing the settlement agreement. They will then have the information to let you know if they believe you have a viable case and will recommended a course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.