Asked in Contracts, Small Claims, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: I would like to know what type of lawyer I should contact/ what type of law my case falls under?

I need to know what kind of lawyer I should contact. I was in a long-term (2006- 2016), cohabiting relationship. I also worked for 5 years at my ex’s office. He was a doctor. We were in a committed relationship. He provided a good life, was very busy on his own, and maintaining our household became a job for me. Working in his office was my other job. We bought a house in 2009. Only he is on the title. I decided to go to graduate school in 2016. I decided to end the relationship later that year. I was able to get only my clothing out of our house, but he says I cannot take any of the other items. I decorated our house. Most of the $ used to buy furniture was his, but some of the smaller items I bought with $ from my account- art, vintage/ antique items. I want roughly half of the items out of the house I lived in (it was my legal residence).

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: A family law attorney can help you with this. You can file a partition of property in order to get what you are owed from the house and your belongings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.