Ankeny, IA asked in Probate for Iowa

Q: My mother passed away. I just got a probate paper of her estate for her house. How likely can I get it from her husband?

My mother passed away and her husband lives in the house. The next day she passed away he was cleaning the house up trying to throw away and get rid of stuff. He has changed the locks on the house and took her car she still owes money to another location, he has been driving it with no car insurance. After awhile I received a probate paper of her estate. It mentions her husband and myself on the paper. It says that The estate will be granted to her husband but i can appeal. So I was just wondering what my rights are, could there still be a chance I could get my mother's house? I'm the one with the deed, her husband gave it to me after my mom passed but he doesn't know he did because it was mixed with things he brought over from her house he said I could keep. Does he have a right to change the locks on the house and get rid of her things?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: You need to hire a local probate attorney to review the paperwork and provide you advice.

The status will differ depending on whether or not there was a will, if property was jointly or solely owned and a plethora of other 'minor' differences that you shouldn't get into in a forum like this.

Seek local legal help, and file an appropriate response based on the situation.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.