Brentwood, TN asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: I'm graduating high school before i turn 18 and i want to go out of state for college, but my father doesn't want me to.

I am 17 years old, and I live in Tennessee. My parents got divorced when I was 7. I'm going into my senior year of high school, i'm graduating in December, and I want to start college in January; the college i want to go to is out of state. My mother is all for it and is completely supporting me and helping me get my college applications together and visit colleges. However, I will still be 17 until May of 2018, so i will be 17 when i am planning to move, and my father is extremely difficult and does not want me to go out of state. If I decided to go without his approval, would I be breaking the law? And is there anything he could actually do, legally, to make me have to stay in Tennessee and not go to college like I have planned? My mom is my primary care giver but my parents have shared custody of me.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Short answer is you would not be breaking the law, but there is probably more here than meets the eye. You don't say how you will support yourself or who will pay the bills. If he is required by the divorce decree to pay for college expenses or anything else past your 18th birthday, he has a say in how those funds are spent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.