Kirkland, WA asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: My fathers will tells me to divide his cash between kids. He has no other assets. I'm in Washington.

Do I involve the courts?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: If there are no beneficiaries named on cash accounts and the accounts are in your Father's name alone at the time of his death, you will HAVE to involve the Courts in some way to make the distribution.

If there were beneficiaries on ALL the accounts or ALL of them were jointly owned, then maybe not, but there might be tax implications if things are not done properly. The ONLY way to be sure what to do is to consult with a local Estate planning and probate attorney to determine what needs to be done.

If the estate is small enough there might be some sort of expedited procedures but again -- consult with a local probate attorney. MANY offer free or low cost initial consultations and they can provide some real guidance at that appointment.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.