Davenport, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: I am listed on the lease as a tenant/lessee do I have rights to the lease if I never signed it?

I am listed on my current lease as the responsible party along with my x-boyfriend. I never signed the lease before he submitted it to the landlord with both my name and his name on it. I have two small children in no relation to my x and would like to keep the house in effort to not uproot my children again. He has agreed to give me the house in passed text messages but changes his mind and won't leave. Do I have rights to keep the house if I never signed the lease but I am listed as the responsible party?

Lawyers: To answer this question, please Log In to your account.
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I would have to say no. The key is likely the landlord in terms of whether you can keep the rental. If your ex will agree to leave and the landlord will either agree to let you stay or have you sign the lease then you can stay. But if they do not agree you do not have the right to force them to let you stay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.