Winter Park, FL asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: verbal agreement for renting half of house, renters using my papergoods, food, not replacing, they started staying next

door, their inflated mattress got a hole in it. was coming in and out of house at will until i discovered dishes missing, at which time I kept door locked until i was home, have not denied them access except when i am not home, or at night when i am asleep, only did so to keep any more of my belongings from being taken out if my home. can i terminate rental agreement and legally keep them from entering my home? oh and they only paid for one month, no lease agreement, verbally agreed to pay electric bill, dish bill, but so far only paid a portion of one and all of the other one. the dish was cut off as a result then turned back on.

Lawyers: To answer this question, please Log In to your account.
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I am not sure if you even have a lease agreement at all. But yes, you can terminate the lease. It sounds like all that you nee to do is post a notice on the door advising that the lease is terminated as your fact pattern states they live next door. I am really not sure if the factual description makes full sense to me but, short answer is that yes you can terminate for either non payment of rent or terminate based upon a month to month rental.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.