Norwalk, CA asked in Family Law and Adoption for California

Q: Can step father serve adoption paper?

The step father served the court papers himself The bio father told the step father NO I want my son ... then step father said if you dont sign over then I'm sueing you for the cost of adoption 10 thound plus 5 years back child support if you don't sign over your rights to me .. that's was never court order to pay any child support .. the mother never sued or called the bio father..

bio father was left off birth certificate the mother put add in the newspaper, did not call the biofather to tell him the child was born..

the child got put into protective custody by state of Ca for child abuse .. that's how the bio father got into the birth certificate.

More info the bio father was forced into doing something he did not want to do period!!

The step father made threats to bio father to go to local bank to sign over his right and mail it into the courts ... the courts rejected it.. so step father came back and treated the bio father to the court house and do it or Elise ..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tobie Brina Waxman
Tobie Brina Waxman
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Culver City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A stepparent can adopt a step-child, but not without the consent of the biological parent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.