Orange, CA asked in Public Benefits and Education Law for California

Q: Creating a Scholarship

Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am a rising senior in high school. Nearing my end of high school, I realized that I wanted to make an impact in my community before I left for college and the way that I thought of was through creating a scholarship for underprivileged elementary and middle school students in my area. My idea was to help fund for their beginning music education (instrument rental, music supplies, etc). After consulting a few adults, they all stated that there are laws regulating creating a scholarship like this, and when I Googled them, they all seem to be regarding scholarships that handle tens of thousands of dollars. However, I just want to raise a maximum of $2000 just so that I can provide a couple of students with this opportunity. How should I go about making this scholarship? Thank you so much!

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • San Jose, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Why not just donate the money? Are you planning on making this scholarship a yearly one? Have you considered forming a non-profit business entity for this purpose, or perhaps working through the "giving" school to donate the money to them and have them earmark it with your purpose in mind? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.