Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I started covering my daughter's health insurance over 2 months ago, can I file to get a reduction to my child support

My support amour has stayed the same but now I'm paying more since I am now covering health insurance as well

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, if it was not already considered in the initial calculation of child support. In New Jersey a parent's payment of the child's portion of health insurance premiums should be factored into the calculation of child support pursuant to the New Jersey child support guidelines. In order to have the credit factored into a recalculation, you will need to file an application to modify the child support obligation, and provide proof of the amount of your payment for the child's portion of the premiums. An attorney may be able to help streamline the process for you, or calculate a different amount of support and propose a modification to the other parent via a consent order, without filing in Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.