New Kensington, PA asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I was married 1992 and lived in Pa. Left my ex and 4 kids n 2003.Moved to NJ 5 years ago. By Pa law I made my final

child support payment 4 weeks ago. I just received a letter from NJ Family Law that my ex wants to sue me for support of my children and possibly support for her. Can she do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: No. If the initial order was entered in PA, then PA law applies to the end date of the child support obligation. Also, there does not appear to be any basis for you to have an alimony obligation impressed on you now, after you did not pay alimony for 14 years. That said, you should probably bring any prior orders/agreements to an attorney specializing in Family Law to make sure you are not exposed to something unanticipated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.