Asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: I'm in the process of getting my son back. The judge granted my appeal. Am I allowed to get my son back with a roommate?

He will have his own room bed clothes etc. My case is in NJ but I currently relocated to NC

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It's hard to understand exactly what you are asking, but I am assuming you have an order granting you custody of a child and that you have, since the order was entered but before you actually obtained custody, began living with someone. If that is the case, your new roommate would not automatically bar the custody order from going into effect. The order would remain the order. If the child's other parent, however, believes that your having a roommate somehow compromises the best interests of your child, then that parent can raise that issue in Court and ask for whatever relief that they believe would promote the best interests of the child. As custody of your child is a critical issue, it would probably behoove you to bring the particular facts and documents to a qualified family law attorney, to give you better and more particular advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.