Decatur, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: My kids father enrolled them in a school without my permission can I go and get them back with out an issue?

I have twin girls who I let go live with their father for a school year and a half. They have been with me this whole summer, I wanted them to stay home for this school year but instead their father has kept them from me, enrolled them in a school where he lives, and is threatening that i cant have them back unless i move to the same county he lives in. Can i just go to the school and dis-enroll my kids without there being an issue? There is no court orders for neither party and we both reside in the state of GA.

1 Lawyer Answer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Far too few facts to give much help on this question. For starters, is there a divorce, and child custody order in place? Who has primary custody? When people split up, and no agreement is in place, things like this happen. Otherwise, you would be protected by court order, and know your rights. It sounds like you MAY have to file for judicial help in the county of the father. I will bet that he is already represented by a divorce lawyer, who oversaw and devised this scheme.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.