Towson, MD asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Family Law and Constitutional Law for Maryland

Q: Can an attorney represent her lover in court ? In maryland?

I think my ex husband girlfriend will be representing him in our divorce and custody case, she's a lawyer and she's been posing as his lawyer in all of his resent defense cases. Who do I report her to? Is that a conflict of interest?

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
Thomas J. Maronick Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Glen Burnie, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: From what you have described it absolutely seems like a conflict. You can file a motion petitioning the court to order her withdrawal from the case. You can also contact the lawyer directly and insist she withdraw due to the conflict, if you are representing yourself or obtain a lawyer who would doubtlessly pursue the same path. You would need to contact Bar Counsel to report ethics violations of the Lawyers Rules of Professional Conduct.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.