Findlay, OH asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Georgia

Q: My grandpa from Nahunta Georgia has pass away july 21 my uncle took everything

My uncle cliff took everything and im wanting to know about his property or if Thire was a will

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I assume your father has passed away. If so, you are an heir to your grandfather’s estate and have a right to ask the Brantley County probate court to open an estate for your grandfather. You (and your siblings) stand as equals to your uncle. DO not sign anything documents without first speaking with a lawyer about the document you are asked to sign. Your uncle may be filing a Petition for Letters of Administration, and you will want to sign that document if you trust your uncle to handle things appropriately.

As for finding a will, you could start by calling each lawyer in the area to see if he ever prepared a will for your grandfather. You can call the Brantley County Probate Court to see if they have one on file for your grandfather. Otherwise, you are probably out of luck in locating a will that someone does not want you to find.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.