Asked in Employment Law, Immigration Law and Tax Law for Nevada

Q: Is it possible to obtain a work permit & temporary residence card for work in Poland with a US federal tax lien?

I have a $30,000 personal deliquent tax debt and a federal tax lien for that debt from the years 2012-2016. I have filed every year on time. I live in Nevada. Since 2012 I have had an installment agreement that I have paid on time all the time except for this year 2017. I defaulted on my agreement this year, the IRS put my debt as non-collectable and issued a federal tax lien. I will begin to pay my debt again within the next couple weeks and set up another agreement. Will I be able work in Poland and pay my debt? I am currently in Poland now visiting and have US citizenship.

1 Lawyer Answer
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Melbourne, FL

A: I cannot address whether Poland will issue you a work permit, but as far as the IRS goes, it will not prohibit you from living and working in Poland. You should be aware, however, that for as long as you live outside the United States, the statute of limitations on collecting your tax debt stops running. So, while your tax debt would expire at the end of approximately 10 years if you were living here in the US, while you are in Poland it will never expire. There are also special filing requirements while you are living and working abroad that you should consider as well. I recommend that you review IRS Publication 54 and that you find a US tax accountant who is experienced in preparing returns for expats to prepare your tax returns each year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.