Cocoa Beach, FL asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: Can we renew our lease?

In our lease, it states we must notify the landlord in writing at least 60 days prior to our current lease ending, also all terms will remain the same EXCEPT for the renewal clause. Our landlord in the last 4 months has threatened to evict us, refused to renew, offered to renew but with a higher rent amount, and is now refusing to renew again. What are our rights? I am pregnant and will be giving birth 1 month before our current lease is up. We had a roommate that signed with us, but we have a Notarized Addendum removing the roommate...

Lawyers: To answer this question, please Log In to your account.
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I cannot say for certain without first reviewing your lease. Typically the renewal of a lease, even when the terms of listed in the current lease is not binding on both sides. ie: landlord cannot force you to renew and you cannot force him to renew.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney in your area to have your lease reviewed and then get advice on what your options might be.

Good luck.