Clearwater, FL asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Florida

Q: How do I sell my home & land with ex's name on title? Haven't seen or heard from him in 20 years.

I'd like to sell my mobile home and land, but my ex husband's name is on the title. It's been 20 years since me or our children have heard from him. I own it free & clear.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have a serious issue and may not be easily remedied. I strongly suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney in your area. (I suggest that if you can consult with a real estate attorney who also handled title closings that will be better).

Your situation is too complicated to try to answer online.

  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Essentially you cannot. You cannot just sell property that you share title with someone else without them signing off too. An attorney will be able to find him though via tools/people we have access to such as a skip trace. It is also possible that you owe him some money from sale of the house for the money he did pay in back then and years he was there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.