Granbury, TX asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Texas

Q: I am not the executor of my dad's will, he died in April, where can I get a copy of his will?

My brother has the will and a minument of trust but he won't show me.

1 Lawyer Answer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Any Will submitted for probate is a public document. Look online at the records of the probate or county court where your father died or owned real property.

A person in possession of a Will is supposed to present it within 30 days, though many people, in their grief, take longer.

Destroying or withholding a Will is a felony in Texas.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.