Chalmette, LA asked in DUI / DWI for Louisiana

Q: 2 yrs. ago my husband got a DUI in VA his license is WV. We reside in LA he got the dui shortly after we moved.

He spent over a month in jail in VA no one else was involved or got hurt thank God. The Magistrate man there in VA said he has time served and there was nothing more we needed to do when I went to get my husband from jail. Then WV suspended his license. They are insisting on an interlock machine before they release the block for 24 months! He recently lost his new job because they saw he had a suspended license. (He does not drive for a living) I am sorry he made a bad choice, but am proud that he has been sober ever since! Is there anything that can be done? Wasn't time served enough?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William C. Head
William C. Head PRO label
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Sandy Springs, GA

A: Drivers' license laws are not made to adjust to good conduct later. They are mechanically enforced.

Because driving is not a RIGHT, but a PRIVILEGE, he will not enjoy the privilege of having a license until he reinstates the right to drive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.