Miami, FL asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and White Collar Crime for Florida

Q: What are tenants rights if landlord goes to prison and owes gov't 3.4 million? Do we keep paying rent?

Found out landlord plead guilty to fraud and owes back $3.4 million. Do we keep paying rent? It's my understanding he now has to forfeit the house. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he also no longer has our deposit....

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, you continue to pay rent until you are officially notified that the premises are no longer his. He is required to take certain measures to safeguard the deposit, but he may very well not have done so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.