Q: My attorney requested a trial de novo after losing on fee arbitration. Can I request to change venue?

The venue is far from where I live and work. Also, my name is wrong, and I wasn't served but it shows that I was (I was overseas). I can't find a lawyer willing to represent me and have decided to represent myself.

1 Lawyer Answer
N. Munro Merrick
N. Munro Merrick
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Del Mar, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have not obtained all the info you need, I would need some info to be able to understand what the situation is and give you some suggestions. For example: who are the parties to the suit? Where do you live? Where was case filed? It appears that a suit was filed, you hired an attorney to represent you, and the parties agreed to non-binding judicial arbitration, which you lost. Now the case goes on as if no arbitration had taken place. Fill me in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.