Cedar Hill, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Texas

Q: How can I get my deceased parents property transferred to my name? My sister isn't paying the property taxes.

My parents and grandparents passed away years ago. Two of my sisters are living on their land, but we've recently found out that they are behind in the taxes. Since there was no will at the time of death for my parents nor my grandparents, can I get the property put into my name so that I can ensure that the taxes get paid before we lose the land? How would I go about that? I don't think these trifling sisters would mind so long as they wouldn't have to be responsible for the taxes. The 3 properties are still in my parents and grandparents' names.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. J. Thomas Black
Mr. J. Thomas Black
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It's called probate. The probate of someone's estate refers to the process by which a Court recognizes that person's death and authorizes the administration of that person's estate, whether they have a will or not. You need to hire a probate lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.