Albany, NY asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for New York

Q: Can I get my inheritance from Non-US Citizen foreign parents as I have changed name?

I'm a US Citizen living in New York for years and I have changed my name. I would like to know what happens if a Non-US citizen parent from abroad dies and set their paperwork under my old name? Will I still be able to receive my inheritance, and what does it apply to me?

Thank you for your response.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Montclair, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should be able to, you'll just have to supply evidence of the name change, usually a certified copy and potentially apostille'd is required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.