Chicago, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: I filed a petition for dissolution asking for a divorce and spousal support.

My husband sent a smear campaign letter as his answer to the judge with falsifications and more along the lines of he said/she said. How do I handle this? Do I have to file anything or will I be able to address this "letter" in court with all my documented proof? I am filing pro se and so is he.

Related Topics:
Lawyers: To answer this question, please Log In to your account.
2 Lawyer Answers
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: A lot of factors are taken into account for the amount and length of maintenance.

You really do need to hire a lawyer.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You don't have to file anything. In all likelihood, the judge will not read his Response, and if he/she does, it will just make your husband look like a jerk. Don't worry about it. If you have a hearing and you try to address your husband's Response, the chances are the judge will shut you off. This is because your husband's ramblings are immaterial.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.