Jacksonville, FL asked in Divorce for Alabama

Q: Alabama divorce, taking my ex-wife back to court to have alimony reduced (with my reduced income) or removed

I'm now remarried, half my income is now my new wife's property but my ex-wife still receives alimony on my full income basis?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you are taking her back to Court, I assume you have hired an attorney. If you have -- listen to him or her. If you are just in the planning stages, here is what you should know. First, the alimony must be periodic alimony. That is the only kind that is based on her need and your ability to pay. If your ability to pay is reduced, or if her need is reduced, then the alimony can be reduced. However, your ability to pay will be seen as coming from ALL sources of income. If you receive income from the rental of your new wife's property -- or if your new wife pays all of your living expenses, etc. all those things will be seen as figuring into your ability to pay. Make sure you get a lawyer to help you with this. He or she should be familiar with the Alabama county and court where your original alimony order was rendered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.