Dallastown, PA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I relocate a right of way on my property to another location on the property?

There is a right of way through my property (a small 30 acre farm) to the neighbors (about 3 acres). The right of way uses our drive then goes through a field between two fenced pastures. The owner of the three acres is using the right of way more now than ever and is pulling farm equipment and trailers. Today, they hit and broke a fence post. They are refusing to repair the fence. My Question; Can I create a new right of way on another part of my property to their property and force them to use it (shut off the existing R.O.W.)? The new one would be more beneficial to both parties.

1 Lawyer Answer
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If there is an agreement between the parties to re-locate the right of way, you can do that. If there is no agreement between the parties to re-locate, a lawyer would have to review any recorded right of way instrument to determine if the right of way can be re-located. If there is no recorded right of way instrument, a lawyer would have to review the whole situation to see what kind of rights your neighbor has. For example, if his property is landlocked, he may have an "easement of necessity." However, it may be possible to re-locate that and still give him access. In other words, this is a very complicated question.

Further, if you would re-locate the easement, you would need a survey, legal description and a plan, and it could get expensive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.