Temecula, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: When is the earliest I can file to have my felonies reduced to misdemeanors/dismissed?

I was convicted of two felonies and am now on probation for 3 years. I believe both of the charges should have been misdemeanors. When is the earliest I can file to have my charges dropped down or dismissed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Mihrtad Paparian
William Mihrtad Paparian
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pasadena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Usually you have to wait until the end of your probationary period but after 3 years you might be able to file your petition pursuant to section 1203 of the Penal Code to have your cases reduced to misdemeanors and dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.