Tampa, FL asked in Contracts, Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: IF IT INDICATES IN MY LEASE THAT THE LAND LORD WILL MAINTAIN THE AIR CONDITIONING. DOES THAT MEAN THAT HE WILL FIX IT.

MY AIR CONDITIONING HAS NOT BEEN WORKING PROPERLY FOR TWO YEARS AND I HAVE BEEN ASKING THE LAND LORD TO REPAIR IT BUT HE DOES NOT. WHAT CAN I DO?

Lawyers: To answer this question, please Log In to your account.
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Santa Rosa Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Best answer, since I do not have a copy of the lease to review is maybe.

Based upon the 2 years of asking and likely new or compounded issues from hurricane Irma you are probably at the point to want to seek legal action. If so then you need to consult with a tenant attorney in your area about the specifics of your lease to determine if the lease requires the landlord to fix or replace. To be clear Florida law does not require that a landlord provide AC but if the same was added to the lease then it might be an enforceable provision of the lease. (Also during your landlord to fix the AC will also not make for good relations. It's a balance or fine line to walk). Good luck.