Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio

Q: What can I do with my 16 year old who is unruly and refuses to go to school? She has been on probation and nothing hap

She has had the police called on her more than once but nothing ever comes of it. We have asked that she be put into juvenile detention but were told no. She sees a councillor and is on medication for behavioral problems. She threatens to make up lies to try to get me in trouble if I call the police. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Contact child and family services. Also contact any local agencies and charities that provide family counseling and assistance. They may have recommendations. The legal system might not have an answer unless she gets into real trouble. Keep at it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.