Laurel, MD asked in Workers' Compensation for Virginia

Q: I was awarded med benefits for my injury that happened at work i have been seeing the same physician that Initially

treated me in the ER I had an outpt surg done that Liberty is refusing to pay stating not an authorized surgery. I thought that if i was awarded med bens no one had to worry about getting auth or approval especially since the treating physician has been working on me since day one. The ER surg was paid for as well as my follow up visits. My adjuster says they never got notification even after telling her i was awarded med bens. Please help!!


I provided the answer to my Adjuster and she asked for all of my medical records so they could review everything again.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: This is the procedure. You have an accident. You report it to your employer. The employer reports it to is WC insurance carrier. Then, the insurance company is supposed to send you a panel of three (3) doctors to pick a doctor from. When you pick that doctor, that doctor becomes the "authorized" doctor. Sometimes it does not work that way. In your case, it appears you went to the ER and got treatment at the ER. If the surgery was done by the ER doctor, then you should be OK. You need to contact the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission 1-877-664-2566 and file a claim to have this paid for. You will need to file the medical treatment papers AND the itemized bills.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.