Dallas, TX asked in Federal Crimes, Military Law and Wrongful Death for Texas

Q: Can I sue the Army for covering up the circumstances of my brother's suicide?

My brother was hazed/bullied by Marines during a deployment to Iraq. The investigations confirm he called his commander for help 20 seconds before he died and his commander told him to go back to work and hung up. I have evidence that the investigators intentionally witheld witness statements, changed witness statements, and maligned my brother's character, providing a description that conflicted with 50+ sworn statements.

They won't answer FOIA requests, they ignore requests to correct records, they refuse to reopen investigations.

A few months after his report was turned in, the lead command investigator was med evac'ed out of Iraq for suicidal ideology, stating the thoughts started during my brother's case. He was then relieved of his duties as an investigator and is pending medical separation from the military for schizotypal personality disorder.

figuring out what really happened is traumatizing, and time-consuming.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: The estate would have a right to bring suit under the Federal Tort Claims Act. Contact a member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Assn who handles death cases involving the military. They give free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.