Bellflower, CA asked in Car Accidents for California

Q: My dad was served with papers for a man with a similar name but he is not that person. What should he do?

They are sueing this person for medical expenses acquired because of a car accident.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

McCall Baugh

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your dad has car insurance, he should give the papers to them and explain he was served, but that he is not the right person. His insurance will take care of it from there.

William John Light and Gerald Barry Dorfman agree with this answer

William John Light

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Call the attorney identified on the summons and explain the mistake.

Peter N. Munsing

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: You might also call the attorney that served you. Do NOT agree to anything. Tell him that he has the wrong person. I'd still notify your insurance to be safe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.