Burke, VA asked in Immigration Law for Virginia

Q: I have an A1 Student Visa. I’ve been in the US since I was 8 years old. Can i apply for green card or citizenship

My father is a diplomat and mights be going back to work in native country.My visa expired the end of next year. What can I do to stay in the US. or at least obtain a green card.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It is possible, though perhaps a bit more complicated than some other situations. You would need to qualify or be eligible for some other type of visa or a green card, such as by marriage to a US citizen. Consider consulting with an immigration attorney to review your situation and options. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.