Six Mile, SC asked in Estate Planning for South Carolina

Q: My daughter is listed as one of the beneficiaries in my will. She recently changed her last name because she got married

Do I need to have the will redone with her new name or is it okay to leave her maiden name? Most of my assets are set up as POD or TOD anyway and I did change her name on those accounts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Howell, MI

A: It is not generally necessary to update a will SOLELY to update someone's name. "My daughter Jane Doe" is a pretty definitive identification for purposes of a will even if Jane has changed her name it still identifies HER and not some other person named "Jane Doe" who you've never met.

On the other hand, this is probably as good a time as any to review the document with your attorney to see if maybe other things have changed that would make an update of the will appropriate. You should review your documents at least once a year anyway, and take it to your attorney for review whenever you feel things have changed enough for you to get a review and seek further advice.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.