Brick, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Do I have to keep paying for child support while my child is in college she live on campus. I am paying 50% of college

The mother want child support while I pay for my part of college, I pay for clothes, food, I bought my child a car. I don't care about paying for my kid education or expenses. I am just sick of giving money to my degenerate ex spouse that use the money to pay for helsef, party, drink and drugs

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Conte
Michael A. Conte
  • Pennington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: This is not the type of question that can be answered adequately in this type of focus. The general answer is that the child is not emancipated if (s)he is a full-time college student, so you have a continuing obligation to pay child support to the parent of primary residence. It is unclear from your question whether you have a legal obligation, however, to pay 50% of her college expenses. The obligation pay college expenses is like child support, but not the same. There needs to be an order, agreement, or judgment providing that you pay a portion of those expenses, before you have that legal obligation. There is interplay between the obligation to pay child support and college expenses. Therefore, it is not clear whether your payment of 50% of the college expenses basically satisfies your child support obligation, or if you have a justifiable child support obligation above paying those costs. You would be best served to bring the specific facts of your case to a qualified family law attorney. Provided with an understanding of your income and assets, the other parent's income and assets, and the child's income and assets (if any), an attorney can advise you of what they believe is a fair obligation based on those facts, and advise you how to have that obligation reduced to an order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.