Canby, OR asked in Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: What makes me eligible for diversion for theft 2? First time offender. 20 y/o with no prior misdemeanors or felonies.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brandon C. Foy
Brandon C. Foy
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stanfield, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: One possibility is for the prosecutor to consent to a diversion pursuant to ORS 137.533, which may be available to those without any prior convictions or diversions. That said, this statute is clear that the prosecutor must be the one to ask the court for the diversion, so sometimes it takes more than simply being a first time offender to get them on board.

You should consult with an attorney about your options, especially if the prosecutor is not offering the diversion to you up-front. Best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.