Pittsburgh, PA asked in Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: at 18 can I seek custody of kids who aren't mine but are in a bad/unfit home?

The father of the children received full custody due to the mother not showing up in court due to a threat from the father but has not been proven (he said she said) I've been with the family since I was a child and a witness to domestic abuse (the father to the mother as well as the children) the father who was granted custody does not buy diapers, food or other necessities for the children however makes the 16 year old go and do it for him, the father smokes weed and is barely ever home. At 18 am I able to try for legal custody of the kids if i have a good home and an adequate living wage

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: In PA there are 3 types of individuals who have standing to file for custody:

1.) a parent of the child

2.) a person who stands in loco parentis to the child

3.) a grandparent of the child, in limited circumstances

Pennsylvania courts have found a person to stand in loco parentis to a child when they have taken on parental responsibilities and duties, with the consent of the biological parent. Establishing standing as a third party can be a big hurdle to overcome, but it is possible. Please feel free to read my blog for more information on in loco parentis standing in PA.


Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.