North Hollywood, CA asked in Adoption and Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: My ex abandoned his pit. Ive cared for her for 3mo now. How can i formally adopt? Can i sue him?

I truly cant afford this dog. But ive done my best to give her a loving home. Can i sue him for spaying and feeding and care of her the 3 months? And obtain ownership??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If he has abandoned ownership, and you have claimed the dog as your own, you can't sue him for your expenses. It would be your dog and your expenses. If the dog is still his and you have paid expenses for the dog at his request, then you could sue in Small Claims. If he didn't ask you to pay, or to get the dog spayed, I doubt you would recover those expenses. Maybe the food.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.