Newark, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I never paid child support for my daughter and she's 15 years old now my child's mother is taking me to court

Do I have to pay child support ? If yes if I signed my rights over of my child do I still have to pay i don't get to see her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Andrew Conte
Michael Andrew Conte
  • Princeton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If you are the legal parent of the child, then you have a child support obligation. The right to be financially supported is the child's right, not that of the custodial parent. You cannot "sign away" your rights to a child to avoid child support, unless you mean signing over your parental rights in the context of a legal adoption of the child by a third-party.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.