Bronx, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: What to do when ticketed for possession of marijuana in New York City?

Hello. If one received a ticket for possession of a small amount of marijuana in New York City, should they try to fight the case? What would happen if you pleaded guilty?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Litman
Michael D. Litman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you have no prior record, you may be eligible for an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal (ACD). In which the case gets adjourned for one year, and if you stay out of trouble for that year, the case will be dismissed and sealed. So go to court, preferably with an attorney, and try to get the ACD.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.