Hamilton, OH asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: can my mother take my child to another state and file for custody without me knowing?

My mother took my child to Virginia saying she will bring her back. After getting to Virginia she told me I’ll never see my child again. She came back to Ohio to visit and I went and took my child back from her sisters house, now she’s trying to have me locked up if I don’t give my daughter back to her. My mother is saying she have temporary custody of my child but I have no knowledge of this. I’ve never signed any paperwork or gave her custody. We’ve never been in front of a judge so I don’t know if the custody papers she say she have is from Ohio or Virginia.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You need to retain an attorney immediately. Use the Find a Lawyer tab and contact a local family law attorney to review all the facts and advise you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.