Lumberton, NC asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: how is the process of termination of rights

My son's biological father has never seen my son and has expressed intrest in terminating his parental rights. My son has a father in his life who has been around since birth. him and I are no longer in a relationship and he is now married. Despite our relationship not working he is still in my son's life and wants to adopt my son. I went to a lawyer but was told there was nothing we could do because him and I are not married to each other. However, the biological parent does pay support payments, set up through court order. At the time of birth I was not working and was receiving services through my local DSS and was instructed that in order to receive the services the absent parent would have to pay support, but now I am a full time employee more than willing to drop monthly child support payments if need to, do we have any options? thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Obviously a man married to someone else is not a candidate to adopt your son and his continued presence in your child's life is potentially not in the best interest of his new family or your child. As to the father terminating his rights, he can not do that unilaterally - you would need to start that process. If you do and his parental rights are terminated, you will stop receiving court ordered child support. If you are receiving state benefits, the state will likely object to the termination because they want someone on the hook to help pay other than taxpayers. So this is all not necessarily a bad situation but it is definitely not optimal. Your best bet would be to consult with a local family law attorney who can review your situation in more detail and lay out all your options and help you pick the best way to go from here. Best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.